The consequences of office work - 20 occupational diseases you can contract.
When we talk about most risky professions, which endanger people’s lives and health, we often think of professions like roofers or soldiers. Nevertheless, full-time office work could be also very risky for your health, if you don’t follow some rules of proper posture or taking breaks. Work can be painful.
Office work is not associated with dangerous occupations, but on the contrary, employment in the office is sometimes referred to as a „warm job.” And yet – many hours of sitting in front of a computer screen also has its health consequences.
Many times on our blog we have discussed the subject of ergonomics and proper matching of office furniture to employees. We hope that this text will help us understand why proper office equipment is so important.
Spine and skeletal system – the most exposed in office work.
Inadequate desk, too low office chair, many hours without moving in a sitting position – all this leads to back pain and, consequently, to degenerative diseases. An equally common complaint is the carpal tunnel syndrome, which appears in people who write a lot on a computer. Office workers also complain about aching calves, leg muscle cramps, swollen feet – all this is the result of prolonged sitting. As many as 92% of employees experienced chronic neck pain. To prevent these ailments, you should regularly get up from the desk and drag yourself. It is also very important that the workplace meets the basic criteria of ergonomics.
„The health of workers is an essential prerequisite for household income, productivity and economic development. Therefore, restoring and maintaining working capacity is an important function of the health services.”
Eyes hurt from looking at the monitor.
Another ailments that can be obtained in office work is deterioration of vision, dry eye syndrome or so-called computer vision syndrome (visual fatigue, decreased focus, dry eye and headache, neck and back pain). Some of these ailments can even lead to a complete loss of vision. Chronic pain, congestion or eye fatigue should be consulted with an ophthalmologist. Sometimes well-chosen glasses are enough to fix the problem. Do not forget to check if your workplace is properly lit, if the monitor is at the right angle, etc,
Other ailments that can occur in the office.
Problems with the spine and eyes are most frequently reported by employees of ailments. However, you can find a lot more disease entities on the list:
- obesity or overweight – resulting from a sedentary work,
- nervous diseases, depression – expectation of results, excess of duties also harm our psyche, office workers are much more exposed to depression and neurosis than manual workers,
- sick building syndrome – in many offices there is an unfavorable microclimate, and the air conditioning has not been cleaned for years, as will add to the eternally working office equipment, emitting radiation and printers it’s no wonder that quite a large percentage of employees suffer from various types of allergies, asthma, headaches, impaired concentration, so-called air-conditioning fever, lung diseases etc.
- diseases of the circulatory system – stress and lack of exercise may lead to arterial embolism or deep leg vein thrombosis.
Of course, all these diseases can be counteracted. How? Here are a few ways:
- take care of the right office furniture: a comfortable desk, an adjustable armchair,
- familiarize yourself with the principles of ergonomics and use them in everyday work,
- trying to maintain the optimal position of the body, properly positioning the monitor, etc.
- every hour take a short break, stop a moment, drag yourself, make a slope, go to the office, and if you can – treat yourself to a simple gymnastics,
- do not snack during work – use meals for meals, do not eat at the computer,
- clean your work place once a week, wipe the desk, monitor, keyboard – germs also multiply on them,
lead a hygienic lifestyle,
- also after work – do sports at least three times a week, do not spend all your free time in front of the TV or computer,
- take care of the muscles and rest for the eyes.
Please remember that proper sitting with maintaining proper body posture will ensure longer work without pain.